Turbine series hybrid car Mar 11, 2023 9:25:57 GMT -5
Post by thestankinator on Mar 11, 2023 9:25:57 GMT -5
A few months ago the thought came to me that it'd be neat to have a turbine powered car. It was kinda out of the blue, but I have always liked unique/odd stuff like that. The vision in my head has changed quite a bit over time in order to make it more feasible for my budget/skills, but as of now it's this: get a cool jet age car in so-so condition (I've more-or-less settled on a 1961-1963 Ford Thunderbird as being the ideal starting point), remove the factory drivetrain, put in an electric motor and as small a battery as you can find with enough voltage, and use a small gas turbine as a range extender.
The electric drivetrain components are another story for another time (and as a number of people have attempted similar electric power conversions, it doesn't look like it'd be that hard to figure out), but I don't know what to do about the turbine. Initially I was thinking I'd use an aircraft APU, but those are mostly beyond my budget and make more power than I'd need (somewhere around 25kW would probably be ideal to charge the battery just faster than the motor discharges it in normal highway driving). I've heard of people making jet engines out of automotive turbochargers before, and that certainly seems likely to be more budget friendly, but it requires a lot more design/fabrication work out of me, and I'm not even sure it's a feasible idea in the first place. If anyone could answer the following questions, it'd be extremely helpful:
- Is it even possible to get that amount (25kW-ish) of power out of such an engine? What about two? If it'd need more than two, it's probably not worth pursuing.
- If so, what kind of turbo would give me the most bang for my buck?
- How would I go about attaching a generator to it? I imagine I'd need to make sure whatever I do is extremely well-balanced given the speed the engine would be turning.
- Is it possible to muffle the exhaust at all? I know these engines are typically extremely loud, and while I wasn't expecting the car to be quiet, I don't want to be unable to drive it even in the middle of nowhere.
- What sort of fuel consumption should I expect?
- Are there any other considerations you would make?
- Is this just a terrible idea unlikely to end any way other than me being hurt or killed?