I thought of sharing the results of a experiment im messing around with. the basic premise is to use a 3D printer to design 2 mold halves to compression mold a diffuser. I figure if im successful, the diffuser design and build could move away from needing machine tools. The design of the diffuser and the resultant mold halves are fairly straightforward if using a CAD software [in using solidworks]. The tricky part is the material to be used, as is needs to be strong enough to survive the heat at that stage. Ill keep updating this page as when i have incrementally better results.
i did my 1st test run with normal JB weld [heat rated to 200+C]. in short, it did not work,but i believe the process is sound,i need just needto move to a better material.
Adding the JB weld, ( my 1st mistake, not enough JB weld) & closing down the top half. As this was a test piece, I didn't bother adding a fiber reinforcement at this stage. Once I get the material down to an acceptable quality, I'll start messing around with reinforcing materials
Setting it alight to rid it of the last coating of plastic material. JB weld did not hold up to the heat generated by this exercise, so its an obvious failure in terms of material choice. The failure mode was that the casting got brittle